Sunday, August 28, 2016

Venturing into the Deep

Well I am venturing into a new project today. I have never done anything like what I am doing.  The other day I was bored and I decided to head over to my local Bernina specialty store and just look around. I ended up coming home with a new pattern and the things I needed to start a new project. Of course I had to justify myself by asking why I would need this item and my reason for making it? My beautiful daughter! She is three years old and her birthday is coming up so what better reason to get a new pattern than a birthday gift for when she turns 4 in a couple months.  The pattern I picked is for something called a Fetch Your Sketch, a pattern from ByAnnie. You can find it here I saw this pattern and I thought it was something that Abbie would love. It's something that she can keep her crayons and coloring books in as well as markers and chalk. Yes, you read that right, chalk. You see, this pattern calls for chalkboard fabric for one of the side panels! How cool is that!!!!  The first thing I noticed about the FYS is that it does not come with pattern pieces. It is one of those that gives specific dimensions which you cut out with a quilters ruler and rotary cutter. Since I am familiar with using pattern pieces, I measured out the dimensions on paper and then cut it out that way. Just make sure to label your pieces after you cut them out.  Normally when I sew, I like to get it done. The problem with this is that you end up starting and finishing a lot of projects and then you want to do more projects which ends up to a trip to HobbyLobby or Joanns which means you spend money....you get the idea. I want this project to be one where I take my time and really enjoy the process. I also wanted to make sure I was grasping some of the new techniques I would be learning. I know it seems intimidating at times but if you follow the directions, you will find it is easier than originally thought.            
        My work space is ready! Yes, I know it's a mess, lol! Today is the day that I actually get to start sewing the FYS!!!  I have my pieces ready and my can of spray adhesive...I'll explain that later!              
   
After several hours of leisurely sewing, complete with longer breaks here and there, I decided to stop for the evening. Wow! I got a lot done! Already there are a few things I would do differerently, but I will go over that later. Once I have this project finished at least!  
   Here is what I got done: the inside pocket panels. One side is the smaller pockets and the other side is the chalkboard panel. I have already noticed that this pattern uses a lot of seam binding which I think is great because it gives me an opportunity to practice using seam binding as well as making my own. Now this is my first time making this so obviously it isn't going to be 100% perfect. I know that I tend to get irritated with myself if I find flaws in things but I am teaching myself that it's ok if it's not perfect. It's part of the learning process and the more I do this, the better that I will get. In fact, the next one I do, I plan to quilt the fabric myself . I did finish the closing flap but it came out lopsided. It's very noticeable. I will be redoing that piece. Thankfully, it's a very small piece so it will not be that difficult.  That is pretty much all I have time for. I should have posted this last night, but I fell asleep and it is now Sunday morning.I will be sewing some more today. I will keep you updated and fingers crossed for a finished product!!            

No comments:

Post a Comment